Thursday 17 May 2012

20. I Spy Journal Quilt

Sometimes I know exactly where my inspiration for a piece of art comes from but at other times I'm at a loss to explain what possessed me. Most of the Journal Quilts so far this year (remember I'm making one for each week this year as part of my 52 Journals project) had their origin in photographs I took mainly in graveyards but this one was influenced by a variety of happenings.

First I all I (re)discovered the African fabric featuring the eyes in my stash while looking for something else. It was only a small piece but hurrah, it did have 3 eyes. I decided I really liked it (which is more than likely why I bought it at some time in the past!) and then that I wanted to use it in a Journal Quilt. Then while stewarding at the Thistle Quilters exhibition some weeks ago I bought a small pack of remnant fabrics from the sales table as they looked so cheerful. This turned out to be offcuts from a fabric selection designed by Amy Schimler for Robert Kaufman called Fly Away. It comprised the bright butterfly and striped fabric.

For some reason these merged together in my mind with the eyes and as a final touch I added the green and blue fabrics which I had hand painted last summer. Random piecing and hand quilting were added and to my great delight I had enough of the striped fabric to provide the binding. Some seed beading and the JQ was finished!

Remember if you want to see all the journal quilts I have made so far this year just click on the 52 Journals label below this post or check out the slideshow in the sidebar!

5 comments:

theresa martin said...

I love this one Frieda! You are an inspiration.

creativelenna said...

"I spy with my little eye . . ." I love this!

Jewels said...

Wow this is so cool Frieda - I'm "PIN" ing it LOL. J

Linda said...

This one is pure fun. Very cheerful and light hearted.

Linda Kunsman said...

What a truly wonderful piece Frieda!!!!LOVE those eyes!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails