Saturday 9 May 2015

Wood blocks


I was at a meeting of Thistle Quilters this morning where there was a very thought provoking talk by Textile Traders about the future of ethnic fabrics in an age where the makers of such fabrics are under much pressure from the outside world. Hopefully the art of making ikats, batiks, and hand embroidered costumes won't be entirely lost and there will be help for those artists who pass on the old traditions.

Textile Traders also brought their collection to sell with them and it was almost guaranteed before I even arrived, that I would buy! As you can see 4 beautiful carved wood blocks came home with me to be used for stamping with, and to use on my gelli plate (so watch this space).

As for the blue indigo dyed fabric in the background, for once this is a jacket rather than fabric to use in my work, but in all honesty that is because I will meet up with Textile Traders again very soon on the 20th June when it's World Textile Day in Bridge of Allen.

2 comments:

peggy gatto said...

Fun to come, can't wait to see!!!

Linda Kunsman said...

these look fabulous and I know you're going to create some gorgeous art with them too.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails