Monday 25 April 2016

The Memories we've made

The new prompt for Week 17 on Colour Me Positive is: friendship, and our art challenge: to make your own stamp and use it.  This made me think about what friendship is, and to me it's not just close friends but also the people you only meet fleetingly but to whom you feel some sort of connection as fellow human beings.

I felt that when I saw this woman  with her little dog from the window of our tour bus in New York. The bus was stationary waiting for a traffic light while she was standing on the corner of the street staring into space. It was of course the dog that first drew my attention, wrapped up warmly in pink, but then I looked at her and I felt a sort of link. I wondered what her life was like and what she was doing there. At first I didn't want to take her picture as she was staring straight ahead and I felt it would be an intrusion but when she looked away I snapped a quick shot. I don't think she even noticed me but I can't help thinking about what brought the two of us together there at the same time and almost in the same place on a random day in both our lives. She will be one of my treasured memories of the trip to New York so I decided to use her image on this journal page.

The background of the page was done with paint and stencilling. I first used the large stencil from the December 2015 Stencilgirl Club, followed by stencil S314 Entangling Threads for the circular shapes and finally the small and medium stencils from the April 2016 Stencilgirl Club in black and turquoise.

For the required stamp I made one featuring long rectangular shapes which I put to use to provide a pavement for her to walk on. She herself was printed onto cream coloured paper , cut out and collaged onto the page as shown together with one of my  photographs of the cherry blossom in Central Park, also from the NY trip.

I found a quotation I really liked and that sums up my feelings perfectly. It reads: "The best things in life are the people we love, the places we've been and the memories we've made along the way". 




2 comments:

peggy gatto said...

Fascinating how the mind works, loved hearing the story. I think this is my favorite with those gorgeous colors and the pinks!!!

Linda Kunsman said...

oh what a special memory to relive and capture on these gorgeous pages!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails