Thursday 1 December 2016

December Journal Quilt

Just like that we have reached the last month of the year and thus also the last journal quilt for 2016. I've made these 8 x 10" journal quilts for the challenge on the Contemporary Quilt Group. The Group set the size and also told us to add a piece of orange at least 1/2" square to the piece this month. I set myself the task of using tweeds and tartans for these JQs, coming mainly from Lochcarron Woollen Mill and Fabric Affair.
This makes the pieces look quite traditional but instead of techniques such as piecing I have used raw edge appliqué with hand stitching to merge the individual pieces together. All the journal quilts this year were hand quilted, raw edged appliquéd with hand stitching and hand beaded with size 11 seed beads. This piece has been embellished  further with vintage buttons.
The binding came from a piece of ShweShwe fabric obtained from the African Fabric Shop. I have so enjoyed finding just the right such fabric for every monthly journal quilt.
This was the 12th year of Journal Quilt making for me and I haven't made any decisions yet about next year. The challenge will run again on the Contemporary Quilt Group but the details haven't been revealed yet. On the one hand I love making these little pieces but on the other hand it adds another task to my already filled to the brim months. I guess it depends on whether or not I suddenly get a great idea once the challenge is posted. You will have to wait and see.

2 comments:

Linda Kunsman said...

such an exquisite quilt design Frieda!

Muriel said...

The vintage buttons add a great finishing touch. Love it!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails