Saturday 9 December 2017

The List

The prompt on Joggles Art Journal Adventures this week was: List. I like lists and always have a weekly To Do list on the go in my diary. As quilting takes a lot of time the list looks much the same from week to week but that makes the satisfaction all the greater when I can tick one activity off as done!
As I had no firm ideas yet about what to do with this spread (in an A5 sized journal) I started as I usually do: looking for something to collage onto the pages.

 As I was looking through my(by now much reduced stash of) vintage books I came across a very dilapidated Daily Journal; or The Annual Accompt-Book dating back to 1792. Don't worry, I only paid £1 for it as it was completely falling to bits. It was however full of lists. Some pages were empty but on other pages things were indeed listed in ancient handwriting and with an ink pen. I collaged random pages onto the background and covered everything with a thin layer of gesso.
 I then grabbed Distress Crayons and PaperArtsy Fresco paints as well as the S319 Scribble Bloom stencil and made a background full of texture.

I had also managed to discover a quotation about lists by Umberto Eco in his book The Name of the Rose. It reads as follows: "The list could surely go on, and there is nothing more wonderful than a list, instrument of wondrous hypotyposis". And in case you're wondering (I did!) what that last word means here it is: a vivid picturesque description of scenes or events.  I am now thinking of how I can use it in an everyday conversation! I hand wrote it onto another piece of a page from the above mentioned vintage book.
 After rubber stamping on some more texture with a stamp from Nathalie Kalbach's Kaffee Klatsch stamp set, I collaged on the focal image (from a Wrap catalogue) and then added more stencilling using M081 Rows of Triangles as well as M080 Repetition Stencil, both by Stencilgirl Products.
I sprayed on some gold through a piece of sequin waste and then outlined some images with black and white markers. I also doodled a bit on the figure and added some washi tape.

1 comment:

Linda Kunsman said...

gorgeous journal spread-and thanks for sharing the meaning of that new to me word-I was just about to get my dictionary:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails